Saturday, January 24, 2009

Buenos Aires

So I was almost robbed within my first 5 mintues of being in Buenos Aires and didn't realise it until today! I was very sleep deprived but still happy, just walking down the street with my big pak, Pablo was carrying my little one and all of a sudden a woman came up to me saying I had something all over my legs that looked like paint, or bird poo. She grabbed a tissue and wanted to help me wipe it off, but Pablo said we needed to keep moving. I found out today that squirting people squirt you with water, ink, paint, nice smelling shampoo in my case, and get you to put down your bags, then they grab 'em and run. A lady in my room had all of her cash and CC's stolen by being squirted in the head and then a woman came by and took her wallet.

With all that said, Buenos Aires in wonderful. It feels kinda like Madrid to me. Tons of people are travelling alone with makes it nice. There is always someone to do something with. I've been to a few neighborhoods and an open market today. I've got an aweful sunburn on my shoulders to prove my skin was not prepared for summer. My hostel is really nice, amazing staff, fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast, etc. I fell asleep early last night, so perhaps I'll see a bit of night life tonight. I want to stay at least until Monday to see "La Bamba" which is a big street party with a giant band made of drums! I'll head to Bariloche in Patagonia first, then see where I want to go.

2 comments:

  1. hey- it sounds like you got lucky!!
    great you kept walking.
    One of Grampa's friends was robbed that way in Rome w/ mustard.
    I am also interested in "La Bamba"- keeps us posted.
    I am looking at the Worldmark possibilities of Argentina- I found them on the map and put them on your gmail.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud as well!! Great information!
    Love the picts! This is such your calling!
    Your such a natural, Enjoy every minute!
    WLST-Aunt S

    ReplyDelete