Friday, April 24, 2009

My Birthday...Quarter Century!

I arrived in Buenos Aires a few days before my birthday and it was pretty strange to be back in Argentina again. I also discovered that all my clothes smelled worse then I had previously suspected (probably cause everyone in Peru starts to smell the same after a while) and was feeling pretty grungy next to all the freshly arrived backbackers in Hostel Estoril. I was glad my mom would be arriving shortly with some new shirts and products to make me feel civilized again.

My birthday was a very very busy day. I got up in time to snag a pastry for breakfast before they were all gone and headed out to the Recoleta market with Ian (he thought he was going to study spanish in the park but was convinced otherwise). I shopped around for a new silver ring, got a fresh fruitcup with fresh squeeed OJ and then headed back to the hostel to meet Miriam. We walked to the Microcentro for a Tango lesson. Kat and Miriam were sporting some amazing tango shoes and I had to dance barefoot standing on my toes (my shoe choices are flipflops, crocks or hiking boots). The lesson was awesome, very difficult but I understand why its the forbidden dance...sheeesh. The best part is that I realise now its a dance of feet flirting. Your feet are essentially flirting with little taps, rubs, slides and teases in a totally unchoriagraphed way. Not to mention there is no space between you and your partner in order to anticipate their next move since again...unchoriagraphed.

Next I headed to San Telmo with Kat where we watched some Afro-Cuban dancing and went to a tapas restaurant called El Federal for some wine and cheese. I had a big Argentinian BBQ at the hostel for dinner and went clubbing that night! The techno music inspired some very unique dance moves that evening which have resulted in embarrassing pictures of Facebook now...oh wells.

It was a pretty awesome birthday, thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes - you guys are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment