Sunday, February 8, 2009

Headlamps just bring trouble...


Let me set the scene for you. Im snug and cozy in my hostel on a top back fast asleep. Its about 5am and nothing but quiet, not even a snoring drunk guy in the corner bed. Then I hear BANG BANG BANG and immediatly wake to think someone is breaking into the hostel to rob us all (that doesnt happen, just where my brain went). About 2 minutes later my room is full of giggling Irishmen bumping into things and very very drunk. These guys have been doing this every night I was in bariloche so it wasnt that much of a shock. It was shocking when one Irish guy found his headlamp, turned it on and created strobe light effects with his head moving from laughter. What was sooooo funny? I cracked open my eyes to discover a dog. Most towns in Patagonia have lots of stay dogs all over the place. These guys had actually brought one into the hostel! In the morning I found the guys in their beds, both fully dressed and one still in the sitting position with hiking boots on. The dog was gone but thats just a little randomness I thought Id share :)

While in Bariloche I was taking it easy after all my hiking till Nicola, a awesome German girl, approached me to see if Id do rafting at 2 for the price of 1 (they had extra seats to fill). Seeing as my brother would be very jealous and mad at me if I didnt go, I signed up and was on my way to the river the next morning. I had a great boat and a good guide who loved to make fun of germans, so all was well with me. We did class 3 and 4 rapids which started in a forest and got bigger as we entered a canyon that would take us into Chile. The guides were having all sorts of fun contests like who could get all of the rafters flipped out of the boat, and who could pass by giant rocks the closest. Crazy raft guides, but it was very fun. It was cold and rainy for most of the trip, but we were working pretty hard so I didnt freeze to death. At the end of the rapids we walked out into Chile, hiking up a super steep hill followed by horses who were carrying the deflated rafts up the rocky path. We had our pictures taken, cold tired and happy. After the rafting we were taken back to an Estancia (a farm) for a big traditional BBQ and wine. Once again I slept like a baby (the Irish didnt get in til I was up for breakfast).

No comments:

Post a Comment